The main risks associated with being a migrant worker are:
- migrant workers are more likely to be treated with disrespect by their employer or to suffer from employers’ abusive behaviour, or violation of their dignity, compared to regular employees;
- work and working conditions associated with migrant work may cause health problems;
- some employers restrict their employees’ freedom of movement and hence their ability to meet friends and maintain social contacts. Social and physical isolation can exacerbate health problems;
- labour exploitation, especially of those who are in an irregular situation;
- legal system in many countries does not provide adequate protection for migrant workers, often because of their nationality or their migration status.